Vitamin and mineral supplements

General healthcare discussion, and Obamacare news.
Please note that specific help and support for Gregory Allan's book "How to Survive Hospital Costs Without Insurance" must be directed to the private Forum used for that purpose.
editor
Site Admin

Vitamin and mineral supplements

Post by editor »

A lot of common ailments are caused by vitamin or mineral deficiencies.

This is why the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), in league with Big Pharma, has been trying for years to limit consumer access to these substances. Vitamins and minerals can't be patented, which means they are relatively inexpensive. They treat the root cause of illnesses, not just mask the symptoms. And, as Firestarter says, they have no adverse effects.

Specific cause and effect with vitamins and minerals have been known for years, but still the FDA refuses to let distributors print known health benefits on labels.

Multivitamins are better than nothing, but they usually do not contain enough of each vitamin to overcome specific deficiencies.

Here are some examples:

Arthritis. This one is personal to me. I have arthritis in my joints which can sometimes be quite painful and debilitating. If I take at least 500 mg of vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) every day, I have zero joint pain. If I neglect to take it for awhile, the pain starts in my fingers, then my lower back, and my knees. Doubling up on the vitamin for a couple days brings quick relief.

Heart disease. A deficiency in selenium is a direct cause of heart disease. Farmers know this, and in certain parts of the country they give selenium supplements to their farm animals (Michigan, for example, where there is no natural selenium in the soil).

Hemorrhoids. I found various studies which seem to agree that at least 75% of Americans will suffer with hemorrhoids at some point in their lives. Around two million Americans undergo surgery to correct hemorrhoid problems each year. Most advice given for this problem is in the nature of, "eat more fiber", "don't sit so much", which doesn't help much. This is a great boon for doctors and hospitals who make a lot of money from the surgery. If you take 100 mg of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) every day, you will probably never have hemorrhoids. If you currrently have them, take 200 mg a day for a week, and you'll be amazed at how fast you feel relief.

Herpes. Various studies conclude that somewhere between 62% and 90% of the adult American population has oral herpes (HSV-1). If you ever get cold sores in your mouth, you have it. You can go to the drugstore and buy all kinds of stuff to treat cold sores, ranging from low to high dollar. Either way, you're going to endure a certain amount of pain and discomfort, not to mention embarrassment if the sore is visible. On the other hand, if you take 500 mg of L-Lysine every day, you will probably never get another cold sore.

One of our members recently posted evidence that vitamins have greatly reduced the number of HIV patients whose cases became life threatening.

If you have a cut or a burn, you should know that your skin can't knit back together if you don't have enough vitamin C. I've recently started taking pure vitamin C crystals (powder) instead of tablets. I originally bought this because my daughter has trouble swallowing pills, and I was helping her get over a bronchial infection. I tried crushing and dissolving a couple pills into warm tea. The binder material that floated to the top was sticky and disgusting. I like to dissolve a half or full teaspoon of C crystals in a little warm (not hot) water, add about a cup of apple juice, and drink it down. Sour at first, but I've gotten used to it. This way the vitamin goes into my bloodstream almost immediately. You should know that C only stays in your body for about two hours. So if you're treating a cold or flu, take C every two hours.

These are just a few examples that come quickly to mind, either because I've dealt with problems myself, or have helped friends and loved ones. There are plenty more, and if you're having a chronic problem of some kind, you owe it to yourself to find the root nutritional cause. Doctors will not help you with this.
--
Editor
Lawfulpath.com
notmartha

Re: Vitamin and mineral supplements

Post by notmartha »

Any suggestions for Lyme?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I haven’t investigated Lyme disease thorough. The following information is from: http://www.rath.co.uk/pdf-files/webinar ... e%20D..pdf
If this is reliable these can be used in the treatment of Lyme disease.
Vitamins: Vitamin B-complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin D3.
Specific natural “phytobiologicals” from: Kelp (Iodine), Royal Jelly (Cis-2-decenoic acid), Coconut oil (Monolaurin), Terminalia chebula (Luteolin), Rosemary (Rosmarinic acid), Scutellaria baicalensis (Baicalein).

I didn´t know that the (estimated) cases of Lime disease has been rising from 35,000 in 1987 to 460,000 in 2009.
When I started my investigation on the effects of vitamins on AIDS, I knew that vitamin C is good for your immune system (so my hypothesis was it would cure AIDS).
For some reason internet “search” engines block my posts: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread ... orld/page2

The Order of the Garter rules the world: viewtopic.php?p=5549#p5549
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

Thank you.
editor
Site Admin

Post by editor »

I don't know much about Lyme either. My first inclination though, is vitamin C.

Lyme is an actual pathogen, so it's not the same thing as some of the examples I gave of vitamin deficiency. But vitamins can still help. Lyme is a spirochete-- it evades the immune system by changing shape. Large doses of C have been used successfully to treat AIDS (also a spirochete) and even Ebola. By large doses, I mean something like 24,000 mg a day, spread out in 2,000 mg doses given every two hours. Treatment lasts a minimum of two weeks.

Most people taking such large doses will experience extreme diarrhea. This usually passes within the first few days. If it continues, try reducing to 1,500mg per dose. If that stops it, then gradually build back to a higher dose until it starts again, then back off a bit. The idea is to find the maximum tolerable dose.

If you ever try this, I highly recommend the C crystals, dissolved in water. This goes straight into the bloodstream, without the wait associated with tablets or capsules.
--
Editor
Lawfulpath.com
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

Thank you. I'm a big advocate of C, and am taking approx. 10,000 mg a day from various sources (rose hips, fruits and vegetables, caplets). Any more than that and I fear I'd flush out the other supplements - garlic, Echinacea, magnesium, other botanicals. I don't have any C crystals and don't know when I can get them.

Everyone tells me I won't be able to fight this without antibiotics. I'm determined to prove them wrong. :lol:
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

editor wrote:Large doses of C have been used successfully to treat AIDS (also a spirochete) and even Ebola.
I did investigate AIDS and saw some stories that the symptoms of AIDS are stopped by vitamin C, but no evidence...

Here's a story about the beneficial effects of vitamin C on viral infections: https://riordanclinic.org/2014/02/high- ... nfections/
For some reason internet “search” engines block my posts: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread ... orld/page2

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Linus Carl Pauling is one of the pioneers in vitamin supplements to improve the health.
Linus Pauling has been ridiculed for these believes.

From 1966 on, Pauling supported the idea that large doses of vitamin C (1 gram a day or more), could prevent colds and other diseases.
Pauling even claimed that vitamin C could prevent cancer and heart attacks.
According to Pauling a heart attack is just another symptom of scurvy, and idea too bizarre for me to believe.

Without hard evidence I also dismiss the idea that vitamin C is the wonder medicine that can cure cancer, but the description on how it’s supposed to work is fascinating and almost convinces me.
The idea is that cancer cells specifically accumulate vitamin C, which destroys the cancer cells from the inside. If this is correct, vitamin C specifically destroys cancer cells. This is of course not even claimed for the most common sorts of cancer therapies – radiation and chemo: https://archive.ph/BRZva

While Pauling was ridiculed for these views by the medical establishment, since then it has become accepted that vitamin C is essential for the immune system.
Linus Pauling died 19 August 1994, aged 93, of cancer...

I’m not affiliated in any way with the Linus Pauling Institute and doubt the more extreme claims of the founder of the Institute, Linus Pauling. I don’t even know if Pauling would agree with the current activities of “his” Institute.
It could even be that Pauling is partly responsible, for the belief that vitamin C is more important than other vitamins.

Most people understand that severe starvation causes serious physical health problems.
Probably not many people realise that deficiency of micronutrients can also cause mental health problems. Which I experienced firsthand in 2015.

I have found an interesting collection of information on the effects of micronutrients on the health on the website of the Linus Pauling Institute. I’m not affiliated in any way with the Linus Pauling Institute.
The following link focuses on the effects on the brain of deficiency in certain essential nutrients: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/micronut ... e-function

What’s interesting when considering that Pauling’s main interested was vitamin C, is that the deficiency in other micronutrients, appears to be more important than vitamin C.

The human brain needs glucose for its energy needs. During prolonged starvation the glucose supply is inadequate, and ketone bodies will be used instead.
Ketone bodies are acidic, and high levels in the blood are toxic and may result in ketoacidosis. This causes malfunction in the brain.

Severe vitamin B6 deficiency - causes: irritability, depression, confusion, seizures, and abnormal EEG patterns.

Vitamin B7 (biotinidase) deficiency - causes neurologic symptoms: depression, lethargy, hallucinations, and numbness and tingling of the extremities.

Vitamin B12 deficiency - causes neurologic symptoms, including: numbness and tingling of the extremities (especially the legs), difficulty walking, concentration problems, memory loss, disorientation, dementia, and mood changes

Vitamin C deficiency - causes oxidative damage to lipids and proteins in the brain. Severe vitamin C deficiency, called scurvy, can be fatal.

Vitamin D deficiency - impairs cognitive abilities.

Severe vitamin E deficiency - results in neurological symptoms, including impaired balance and coordination (ataxia), injury to the sensory nerves (peripheral neuropathy), muscle weakness (myopathy), and damage to the retina of the eye (pigmented retinopathy).

Severe thiamin deficiency, results in beriberi - including neurological symptoms.

Severe niacin deficiency, known as pellagra - is characterized by dementia. It also leads to neurologic symptoms like: headache, fatigue, apathy, depression, ataxia, poor concentration, delusions, hallucinations, memory loss, and psychosis.

Pantothenic acid deficiency - results in demyelination (destruction or loss of the myelin sheath) and peripheral nerve damage. Humans that were induced to pantothenic acid deficiency complained of headache, fatigue, insomnia, intestinal disturbances, and numbness and tingling of their hands and feet.

Changes in calcium homeostasis in the brain - could contribute to the cognitive decline associated with normal aging and the development of neurodegenerative disorders.

Magnesium deficiency - results in neurologic and muscular symptoms, including tremor , muscle spasms, and tetany.

Selenium deficiency - may be linked to a reduced antioxidant capacity in the brain.

Deficiency of the following micronutrients is especially damaging to the developing foetus or child.

Iodine deficiency, during foetal development or early childhood - can cause irreversible mental retardation or intellectual impairment.

Iron deficiency during stages of brain development, has detrimental consequences. Pregnant women are at increased risk of iron deficiency because they need more iron.
Iron deficiency during prenatal stages - results in irreversible deficits in learning and memory.
Iron deficiency during childhood - could cause impaired cognitive development
Maternal iron deficiency in animals - results in changes in cognitive performance and behaviour in the offspring.

Zinc deficiency - impairs the mental and neurologic function.
Deficiency of zinc during prenatal stages - can cause congenital malformations.
Deficiency of zinc during childhood - is associated with deficits in attention, learning, memory, and neuropsychological behaviour.

Choline deficiency during prenatal stages in laboratory rats - show persistent memory and other cognitive deficits.

Essential fatty acid deficiency - primarily causes skin effects, impaired immunity, and decreased physical growth. The developing brain may be especially vulnerable to the effects of deficiencies in essential fatty acids.
Laboratory rodents showed that omega-3 PUFA deficiency - impaired cognitive performance.
Omega-3 PUFA deficiency during prenatal stages - has adverse effects on visual function.

While there is evidence that deficiency in certain micronutrients results in impaired cognitive performance, this doesn’t mean that taking additional micronutrients can make you smarter.
Some studies have reported that micronutrient supplementation improves overall mood and psychological well-being.