Scheme

Comprehending laws and contracts is impossible, unless we first learn the meaning of the words and phrases they contain.

Moderator: notmartha

notmartha

Scheme

Post by notmartha »

BIBLE

The word “scheme” is not found in the KJV. Some instances of the word “scheme” are found in other translations, as follows:

English Standard Version, Crossway Bibles, 2001
Job 5:13 - He catches the wise in their own craftiness, and the schemes of the wily are brought to a quick end.

Job 18:7 - His strong steps are shortened, and his own schemes throw him down.

Job 21:27 - Behold, I know your thoughts and your schemes to wrong me.

Psalm 10:2 - In arrogance the wicked hotly pursue the poor; let them be caught in the schemes that they have devised.

Psalm 31:13 - For I hear the whispering of many— terror on every side!— as they scheme together against me, as they plot to take my life.

Ecclesiastes 7:25-29 - I turned my heart to know and to search out and to seek wisdom and the scheme of things, and to know the wickedness of folly and the foolishness that is madness. And I find something more bitter than death: the woman whose heart is snares and nets, and whose hands are fetters. He who pleases God escapes her, but the sinner is taken by her. Behold, this is what I found, says the Preacher, while adding one thing to another to find the scheme of things— which my soul has sought repeatedly, but I have not found. One man among a thousand I found, but a woman among all these I have not found. See, this alone I found, that God made man upright, but they have sought out many schemes.

Isaiah 32:7 - As for the scoundrel—his devices are evil; he plans wicked schemes to ruin the poor with lying words, even when the plea of the needy is right.

Jeremiah 11:19 - But I was like a gentle lamb led to the slaughter. I did not know it was against me they devised schemes, saying, “Let us destroy the tree with its fruit, let us cut him off from the land of the living, that his name be remembered no more.”

Ezekiel 38:10 - “Thus says the Lord GOD: On that day, thoughts will come into your mind, and you will devise an evil scheme

Ephesians 4:14 - so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.

Ephesians 6:11 - Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.
Holman Christian Standard Bible, Holman Bible Publishers, 2003
Genesis 6:5 - When the LORD saw that man’s wickedness was widespread on the earth and that every scheme his mind thought of was nothing but evil all the time,

Exodus 21:14 - If a person schemes and willfully acts against his neighbor to murder him, you must take him from My altar to be put to death.

Nehemiah 4:15 - When our enemies heard that we knew their scheme and that God had frustrated it, every one of us returned to his own work on the wall.

Esther 7:5 - King Ahasuerus spoke up and asked Queen Esther, “Who is this, and where is the one who would devise such a scheme?”

Esther 8:5 - She said, “If it pleases the king, and I have found approval before him, if the matter seems right to the king and I am pleasing in his sight, let ⌊a royal edict⌋ be written. Let it revoke the documents the scheming Haman son of Hammedatha the Agagite, wrote to destroy the Jews who are in all the king’s provinces.

Job 5:12 - He frustrates the schemes of the crafty so that they achieve no success.

Job 18:7 - His powerful stride is shortened, and his own schemes trip him up.

Job 21:27 - I know your thoughts very well, the schemes you would wrong me with.

Psalm 5:10 - Punish them, God; let them fall by their own schemes. Drive them out because of their many crimes, for they rebel against You.

Psalm 10:2 - In arrogance the wicked relentlessly pursue the afflicted; let them be caught in the schemes they have devised.

Psalm 10:4 - In all his scheming, the wicked arrogantly thinks: “There is no accountability, ⌊since⌋ God does not exist.”

Psalm 26:10 - in whose hands are evil schemes and whose right hands are filled with bribes.

Psalm 31:20 - You hide them in the protection of Your presence; You conceal them in a shelter from the schemes of men, from quarrelsome tongues.

Psalm 35:20 - For they do not speak in friendly ways, but contrive deceitful schemes against those who live peacefully in the land.

Psalm 37:12 - The wicked person schemes against the righteous and gnashes his teeth at him.

Psalm 64:2 - Hide me from the scheming of wicked people, from the mob of evildoers,

Psalm 83:3 - They devise clever schemes against Your people; they conspire against Your treasured ones.

Proverbs 1:31 - they will eat the fruit of their way and be glutted with their own schemes.

Proverbs 6:18 - a heart that plots wicked schemes, feet eager to run to evil,

Proverbs 12:2 - The good person obtains favor from the LORD, but He condemns a man who schemes.

Proverbs 14:17 - A quick-tempered man acts foolishly, and a man who schemes is hated.

Proverbs 24:9 - A foolish scheme is sin, and a mocker is detestable to people.

Proverbs 30:32 - If you have been foolish by exalting yourself or if you’ve been scheming, put your hand over your mouth.

Jeremiah 11:15 - What ⌊right⌋ does My beloved have to be in My house, having carried out so many evil schemes? Can holy meat prevent your disaster so you can rejoice?

Hosea 11:6 - A sword will whirl through his cities; it will destroy and devour the bars of his gates, because of their schemes.

2 Corinthians 2:11 - ⌊I have done this⌋ so that we may not be taken advantage of by Satan. For we are not ignorant of his schemes.
Weymouth New Testament, Richard Francis Weymouth, 1902
John 11:53 - So from that day forward they planned and schemed in order to put Him to death.

Acts 5:38 - And now I tell you to hold aloof from these men and leave them alone—for if this scheme or work is of human origin, it will come to nothing.
DEFINITIONS

Webster’s Dictionary of the English Language, 1828
SCHEME, noun [Latin schema; Gr. from a contracted word, probably from to have or hold.]
1. A plan; a combination of things connected and adjusted by design; a system.
We shall never be able to give ourselves a satisfactory account of the divine conduct without forming such a scheme of things as shall take in time and eternity.
2. A project; a contrivance; a plan of something to be done; a design. Thus we say, to form a scheme to lay a scheme to contrive a scheme
The stoical scheme of supplying our wants by lopping off our desires, is like cutting off our feet when we want shoes.
3. A representation of the aspects of the celestial bodies; any lineal or mathematical diagram.
SCHEME, verb transitive To plan; to contrive.
SCHEME, verb intransitive To form a plan; to contrive.
The Century Dictionary, an Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language, 1895
scheme

1. A connected and orderly arrangement, as of related precepts or coordinate theories; a regularly formulated plan: system

2. A linear representation showing the relative position, form, etc., of the parts or elements of a thing or system; a diagram; a sketch or outline.

3. In astrol., a representation of the aspects of the celestial bodies; an astrological figure of the heavens.

4. A statement or plan in tabular form; an official and formal plan: as, a scheme of division; a scheme of postal distribution or of mail service.

5. A plan to be executed; a project or design; purpose.

6. A specific organization for the attainment of some distinct object: as, the seven schemes of the Church of Scotland (for the propagation of the gospel in foreign parts, the conversion of the Jews, home missions, etc.; these are under the charge of a joint committee).—7t. A figure of speech.
scheme, v

I. To plan; contrive; plot; project; design.

II. intrans. To form plans; contrive; plan; plot.
Black’s Law Dictionary, 1st Edition, 1891, 2nd Edition, 1910
SCHEME.

In English law, a scheme is a document containing provisions for regulating the management or distribution of property, or for making an arrangement between persons having conflicting rights.
Thus, in the practice of the chancery division, where the execution of a charitable trust in the manner directed by the founder is difficult or impracticable, or requires supervision. A scheme for the management of the charity will be settled by the court. Tud. Char. Trusts, 257; Hunt, Eq. 248; Daniell, Ch. Pr. 1765.

A Compilation of Words and Phrases Judicially Defined By The Supreme Court Of Georgia And The Court Of Appeals, 1910
Scheme
In general — Slot machines.—A “nickel-in-the-slot” machine is an indictable “scheme” for hazarding money or other thing of value. In the indictment it need only be described by name. Kolshorn v. The State, 97 Ga. 343, 23 S. E. 829.
The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Current English, 1919
scheme (sk-), n., & v.i. & t.

Systematic arrangement proposed or in operation (s. of colour, principle on which colours have been chosen & grouped in picture &c), table of classification or of appointed times, outline, syllabus; plan for doing something; artful or underhand design. (Vb) make plans, plan esp. in secret or underhand way (to do, for, or abs.), intrigue, whence sche'mER 1 n., sche'mING 2 a.; plan to bring about, [f. L schema].

Black’s Law Dictionary, 4th Edition, 1968
SCHEME.

A design or plan formed to accomplish some purpose—a system. Snider v. Leatherwood, Tex.Civ.App., 49 S.W.2d 1107, 1110.

In English law. A document containing provisions for regulating the management or distribution of property, or for making an arrangement' between persons having conflicting rights. Thus, in the practice of the chancery division, where the execution of a charitable trust in the manner directed by the founder is difficult or impracticable, or requires supervision, a scheme for the management of the charity will be settled by the court. Tud. Char. Trusts, 257; Hunt, Eq. 248; Daniell, Ch.Pr. 1765.
Ballentine’s Law Dictionary, James A. Ballentine, Third Edition, 1969
scheme.
A plan or artifice; a plot. A combination of thoughts, theories, or the like, connected and adjusted by design; systematic plan; a system. Weiss v United States (CA5 La) 120 F2d 472. An outline of an article, for example. 9 Am J2d Bankr page 1.
scheme to defraud.
A plan designed or concocted for perpetrating a fraud.
As the term is used in the Federal statutes making criminal the use of the mails for the purpose of executing a scheme to defraud, if the scheme or artifice in its necessary consequence is one which is calculated to injure another, to deprive him of his property wrongfully, then it is to defraud within the meaning of the statute. See Horman v United States (CA6 Ohio) 116 F 350.
Blacks Law Dictionary, 5th Edition, 1979
Scheme

A design or plan formed to accomplish some purpose; a system. [cites Snider v. Leatherwood] When used in a bad sense, term corresponds with “trick” or “fraud”. “Scheme to defraud” within meaning of mail fraud statute is the intentional use of false or fraudulent representations for the purpose of gaining a valuable undue advantage or working some injury to something of value held by another. [cites U.S. v. Mandel] Plan reasonably calculated to deceive persons of ordinary prudence and comprehension. [cites U.S. v. Goldman]
Blacks Law Dictionary, 7th Edition, 1999
Scheme
1. A systematic plan; a connected or orderly arrangement, esp. of related concepts <legislative scheme>.
2. An artful plot or plan, usu. to deceive others <a scheme to defraud creditors>.
DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, 2017
scheme of fires —

The detailed, logical sequence of targets and fire support events to find and engage targets to support the commander’s objectives.
scheme of maneuver —

The central expression of the commander’s concept for operations that governs the development of supporting plans or annexes of how arrayed forces will accomplish the mission.
US Code 18 §1346
scheme or artifice to defraud –

a scheme or artifice to deprive another of the intangible right of honest services.

WEX Legal Dictionary
Pyramid scheme

A crooked investment arrangement by which investors, lured by the promise of outsized returns, are paid from money contributed by new investors, not from the profits earned by their investments. (See also: Ponzi scheme)
Ponzi scheme

A type of investment fraud in which investors are promised artificially high rates of return with little or no risk; original investors and the perpetrators of the fraud are paid off by funds from later investors, but there is little or no actual business activity that produces revenue. The scheme generates funds for previous investors so long as there is a consistent flow of funds from new investors. This gives the impression that the earlier investments drastically increased in value in a short period of time. The scheme inevitably collapses when too many investors demand redemption or the scheme fails to attract a sufficient number of new investments. The Ponzi scheme is named after Charles Ponzi, who in the 1920s defrauded thousands of investors in Boston.
Horizontal Scheme

A cooperation agreement between competitors on the same level of commerce. A horizontal scheme violates antitrust law if it involves price-fixing or any other recognized restraint on trade.
Justice

1) A concept of fairness and moral rightness.
2) A scheme or system of law.
QUOTES

James Madison:
A republic, by which I mean a government in which the scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect, and promises the cure for which we are seeking. Let us examine the points in which it varies from pure democracy, and we shall comprehend both the nature of the cure and the efficacy which it must derive from the Union.
William Graham Sumner:
The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man.
No scheme which has ever been devised by them has ever made a collapsed boom go up again.
The great foe of democracy now and in the near future is plutocracy. Every year that passes brings out this antagonism more distinctly. It is to be the social war of the twentieth century. In that war militarism, expansion and imperialism will all favor plutocracy. In the first place, war and expansion will favor jobbery, both in the dependencies and at home. In the second place, they will take away the attention of the people from what the plutocrats are doing. In the third place, they will cause large expenditures of the people’s money, the return for which will not go into the treasury, but into the hands of a few schemers. In the fourth place, they will call for a large public debt and taxes, and these things especially tend to make men unequal, because any social burdens bear more heavily on the weak than on the strong, and so make the weak weaker and the strong stronger. Therefore expansion and imperialism are a grand onslaught on democracy.
Alan Greenspan:
In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value. If there were, the government would have to make its holding illegal, as was done in the case of gold. If everyone decided, for example, to convert all his bank deposits to silver or copper or any other good, and thereafter declined to accept checks as payment for goods, bank deposits would lose their purchasing power and government-created bank credit would be worthless as a claim on goods. The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves. This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard
Robert W. Lee:
It is becoming increasingly apparent that many—arguably most—of the problems that plague our nation have been aggravated rather than alleviated by federal intervention. In one area after another, massive infusions of tax dollars have been squandered on false solutions which, when they fail to achieve their stated objectives, are cited to justify even more spending on other futile schemes that result in bigger government. Examples include programs and laws supposedly intended to reduce racial animosity which have instead heightened race-related tensions; welfare schemes that, rather than reducing poverty, have enticed millions of Americans to become dependent on Washington for their daily bread; federal funding (and control) of education, which has spawned a monumental education crisis; a “war” on drugs which has done little to curb drug traffic, but which has eroded many personal liberties; a health-care finance system that has deteriorated as government meddling and regulation have increased; and a masochistic immigration policy larded with false "solutions" that, while failing to stop the inflow of illegal aliens, have paved the way for further government intrusion into the lives of nearly all Americans.
William P. Hoar:
If ... our bureaucratic masters are becoming more akin to Soviet-style or Eastern European counterparts, it was rarely seen as a plus that those central schemers had wonderful intentions with their five-year plans. Such goals as "job safety," "equality," and freedom from "discrimination," depending on their definitions, may be good things for society, but they were never intended to be the business of the federal government.
Justice Potter Stewart:
The right to defy an unconstitutional statute is basic in our scheme. Even when an ordinance requires a permit to make a speech, to deliver a sermon, to picket, to parade, or to assemble, it need not be honored when it’s invalid on its face.
Karl Borden:
Social Security is an unfunded pay-as-you-go system, fundamentally flawed and analogous in design to illegal pyramid schemes. Government accounting creates the illusion of a trust fund, but in fact, excess receipts are spent immediately. The government’s own actuaries predict the system will be bankrupt by 2030, but Social Security could face financial crisis as early as 2014. Moreover, Social Security’s relatively poor rate of return makes the program an increasingly worse investment for today’s young worker. ... The system design itself is fundamentally flawed and cannot be repaired. It must instead be replaced by one derived from free markets and operated by free citizenry making individual economic decisions in their own self-interest. ... Reform is long overdue. If we fail to act soon, our children will either inherit a bankrupt system or be forced to pay an impossibly high level of taxes. Only private pensions with individual property rights to accumulate fund balances can create a secure pension system. Chile, which privatized its system in 1981, provides evidence of such a system’s effectiveness.
Roger Pilon:
Under our Constitution, the federal government has delegated, enumerated and thus limited powers. Power is delegated by the founding generation or through subsequent amendment (that makes it legitimate); enumerated in the constitution (that makes it legal); and limited by that enumeration. As the 10th Amendment says, if a power hasn’t been delegated, the federal government doesn’t have it. For 150 years, that design held for the most part. When faced with a welfare bill in 1794, for example, James Madison, the principal author of the Constitution, rose in the House to say that he could find no constitutional authority for the bill. A century later, when Congress passed a similar measure, President Cleveland vetoed it as beyond Congress’ authority. That all changed during the New Deal as both congress and the president sought to expand federal power. When the Supreme court objected, rather than amend the Constitution, Franklin D. Roosevelt tried to pack the court with six additional members. The scheme failed, but the threat worked. Thereafter, the court started reading the Constitution’s General Welfare and Commerce Clauses so broadly that the doctrine of enumerated powers was essentially destroyed—and with it limited government.
HughMitzel

Re: Scheme

Post by HughMitzel »

notmartha wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:55 pm BIBLE

The word “scheme” is not found in the KJV. Some instances of the word “scheme” are found in other translations, as follows:
So what does it mean? That "scheme" is a new word that got added later to the language? Or am I missing something?
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

This is the earliest use of the word "scheme" I've found:

Sir T. Wilson, Rhetoric (1553).
I might tary a longe time in declaring the nature of divers schemes, which are wordes or sentences altered either by speaking or writing contrary to the vulgare custome of our speache, without chaunging their nature at al.
This predates the KJV 1611.

In the KJV, other, more specific terms are used instead of scheme - "imagination of the thoughts of his heart," "said in his heart", "guile", "beguiled," "crooked," "wilily." "presume in his heart" "devised", "lie in wait"' etc,
AntonioGenao

Post by AntonioGenao »

HughMitzel wrote: Wed Apr 09, 2459 8:25 pm
notmartha wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2425 4:15 am BIBLE

So what does it mean? That "scheme" is a new word that got added later to the language? Or am I missing something?
This is a critique of a new book that claims to be a ground-breaking “translation” of the New Testament by Brent Miller, Sr. Other reviews of this book have been written, but none that I found gave examples from the actual text, which turn out to be eye-opening. The danger of such a review is that it may bring the book to the attention of those who otherwise would be blissfully ignorant, but hopefully it will serve a larger purpose of warning those who might have come across it in other ways.
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

AntonioGenao wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:20 pm
HughMitzel wrote: Wed Apr 09, 2459 8:25 pm
notmartha wrote: Fri Oct 24, 2425 4:15 am BIBLE

This is a critique of a new book that claims to be a ground-breaking “translation” of the New Testament by Brent Miller, Sr. Other reviews of this book have been written, but none that I found gave examples from the actual text, which turn out to be eye-opening. The danger of such a review is that it may bring the book to the attention of those who otherwise would be blissfully ignorant, but hopefully it will serve a larger purpose of warning those who might have come across it in other ways.
Could you kindly share the title of the book you are referring to.

Ok, never mind. I found it. The Pure Word.

Don't know anything about it, but if the following is true, stay away.

https://openoureyeslord.com/2018/08/04/ ... testament/