Grant

Comprehending laws and contracts is impossible, unless we first learn the meaning of the words and phrases they contain.

Moderator: notmartha

notmartha

Grant

Post by notmartha »

BIBLE

KJV References

Nātan, Hebrew Strong's #5414, is used 2008 times in the Old Testament. It is translated as give (1078), put (191), deliver (174), made (107), set (99), up (26), lay (22), grant (21), suffer (18), yield (15), bring (15), cause (13), utter (12), laid (11), send (11), recompense (11), appoint (10), shew (7), miscellaneous translations (167). It is translated as “grant” in the following verses:
Leviticus 25:23-24 - The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine; for ye are strangers and sojourners with me. And in all the land of your possession ye shall grant a redemption for the land.

Ruth 1:9 - The LORD grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband. Then she kissed them; and they lifted up their voice, and wept.

1 Samuel 1:17 - Then Eli answered and said, Go in peace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy petition that thou hast asked of him.

1 Chronicles 21:22 - Then David said to Ornan, Grant me the place of this threshingfloor, that I may build an altar therein unto the LORD: thou shalt grant it me for the full price: that the plague may be stayed from the people.

2 Chronicles 1:12 - Wisdom and knowledge is granted unto thee; and I will give thee riches, and wealth, and honour, such as none of the kings have had that have been before thee, neither shall there any after thee have the like.

2 Chronicles 12:7 - And when the LORD saw that they humbled themselves, the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah, saying, They have humbled themselves; therefore I will not destroy them, but I will grant them some deliverance; and my wrath shall not be poured out upon Jerusalem by the hand of Shishak.

Ezra 7:6 - This Ezra went up from Babylon; and he was a ready scribe in the law of Moses, which the LORD God of Israel had given: and the king granted him all his request, according to the hand of the LORD his God upon him.

Nehemiah 1:11 - O Lord, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant, and to the prayer of thy servants, who desire to fear thy name: and prosper, I pray thee, thy servant this day, and grant him mercy in the sight of this man. For I was the king's cupbearer.

Nehemiah 2:8 - And a letter unto Asaph the keeper of the king's forest, that he may give me timber to make beams for the gates of the palace which appertained to the house, and for the wall of the city, and for the house that I shall enter into. And the king granted me, according to the good hand of my God upon me.

Esther 5:6 - And the king said unto Esther at the banquet of wine, What is thy petition? and it shall be granted thee: and what is thy request? even to the half of the kingdom it shall be performed.

Esther 5:8 - If I have found favour in the sight of the king, and if it please the king to grant my petition, and to perform my request, let the king and Haman come to the banquet that I shall prepare for them, and I will do to morrow as the king hath said.

Esther 7:2 - And the king said again unto Esther on the second day at the banquet of wine, What is thy petition, queen Esther? and it shall be granted thee: and what is thy request? and it shall be performed, even to the half of the kingdom.

Esther 8:11 - Wherein the king granted the Jews which were in every city to gather themselves together, and to stand for their life, to destroy, to slay, and to cause to perish, all the power of the people and province that would assault them, both little ones and women, and to take the spoil of them for a prey,

Esther 9:12 - 13 - And the king said unto Esther the queen, The Jews have slain and destroyed five hundred men in Shushan the palace, and the ten sons of Haman; what have they done in the rest of the king's provinces? now what is thy petition? and it shall be granted thee: or what is thy request further? and it shall be done. Then said Esther, If it please the king, let it be granted to the Jews which are in Shushan to do to morrow also according unto this day's decree, and let Haman's ten sons be hanged upon the gallows.

Job 6:8 - Oh that I might have my request; and that God would grant me the thing that I long for!

Psalm 20:4 - Grant thee according to thine own heart, and fulfil all thy counsel.

Psalm 85:7 - Shew us thy mercy, O LORD, and grant us thy salvation.

Psalm 140:8 - Grant not, O LORD, the desires of the wicked: further not his wicked device; lest they exalt themselves. Selah.

Proverbs 10:24 - The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted.
Bôʾ, Hebrew Strong's #935, is used 2577 times in the Old Testament. It is translated as come (1435), bring (487), in (233), enter (125), go (123), carry (17), down (23), pass (13), out (12),
miscellaneous translations (109). It is translated as “grant” in the lowing verse:
1 Chronicles 4:10 - And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.
Rishyôn, Hebrew Strong's #7558, is used 1 time in the Old Testament. It is translated as “grant” in the following verse:
Ezra 3:7 - They gave money also unto the masons, and to the carpenters; and meat, and drink, and oil, unto them of Zidon, and to them of Tyre, to bring cedar trees from Lebanon to the sea of Joppa, according to the grant that they had of Cyrus king of Persia.

Epō, Greek Strong's #2036, is used 977 times in the New Testament. It is translated as say (859), speak (57), tell (41), command (8), bid (5), miscellaneous translations (6). It is translated as “grant” in the following verse:
Matthew 20:21 - And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
Didōmi, Greek Strong's #1325, is used 413 times in the New Testament. It is translated as give (365), grant (10), put (5), show (4), deliver (2), make (2), miscellaneous translations (25). It is translated as “grant” in the following verses:
Mark 10:37 - They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory.

Luke 1:74 - That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

Acts 4:29 - And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,

Acts 11:18 - When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 14:3 - Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands.

Romans 15:5 - Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 3:16 - That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

2 Timothy 1:18 - The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.

Revelation 3:21 - To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Revelation 19:8 - And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Charizomai, Greek Strong's #5483, is used 23 times in the New Testament. It is translated as forgive (11), give (6), freely give (2), deliver (2), grant (1), frankly forgive (1). It is translated as “grant” in the following verse:
Acts 3:14 - But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
DEFINITIONS

Webster’s Dictionary, 1828
GR'ANT, verb transitive

1. To admit as true what is not proved; to allow; to yield; to concede. We take that for granted which is supposed to be true.
Grant that the fates have firmed, by their decree--

2. To give; to bestow or confer on without compensation, particularly in answer to prayer or request.
Thou hast granted me life and favor. Job 10:12.
God granted him that which he requested. 1. Chron.4.

3. To transfer the title of a thing to another, for a good or valuable consideration; to convey by deed or writing. The legislature have granted all the new land.
Grant me the place of this threshing floor. 1 Chronicles 21:22.

GR'ANT, noun The act of granting; a bestowing or conferring.

1. The thing granted or bestowed; a gift; a boon.

2. In law, a conveyance in writing, of such things as cannot pass or be transferred by word only, as land, rents, reversions, tithes, etc.
A grant is an executed contract.

3. Concession; admission of something as true.

4. The thing conveyed by deed or patent.
Bouvier’s Dictionary of Law, 1856
GRANT, conveyancing, concessio.

1. Technically speaking, grants are applicable to the conveyance of incorporeal rights, though in the largest sense, the term comprehends everything that is granted or passed from one to another, and is applied to every species of property. Grant is one of the usual words in a feoffment, and differs but little except in the subject matter; for the operative words used in grants are dedi et concessi, "have given and granted."

2. Incorporeal rights are said to lie in grant and not in livery, for existing only in idea, in contemplation of law, they cannot be transferred by livery of possession; of course at common law, a conveyance in writing was necessary, hence they are said to be in grant, and to pass by the delivery of the deed.

3. To render the grant effectual, the common law required the consent of the tenant of the land out of which the rent, or other incorporeal interest proceeded; and this was called attornment. (q. v.) It arose from the intimate alliance between the lord and vassal existing under the feudal tenures., The tenant could not alien the feud without the consent of the lord, nor the lord part with his seigniory without the consent of the tenant. The necessity of attornment has been abolished in the United States. 4 Kent, Com. 479. He who makes the grant is called the grantor, and he to whom it is made the grantee.

4. By the word grant, in a treaty, is meant not only a formal grant, but any concession, warrant, order, or permission to survey, possess or settle; whether written or parol, express, or presumed from possession. Such a grant may be made by law, as well as by a patent pursuant to a law.

GRANT, BARGAIN, AND SELL.

By the laws of the states of Pennsylvania, Delaware, Missouri, and Alabama, it is declared that the words grant, bargain, and sell shall amount to a covenant that the grantor was seised of an estate in fee, freed from encumbrances done or suffered by him, and for quiet enjoyment as against all his acts. These words do not amount to a general warranty, but merely to a covenant that the grantor has not done any acts nor created any, encumbrance, by which the estate may be defeated.

GRANTEE.

He to whom a grant is made.

GRANTOR.

He by whom a grant is made.

Black’s Law Dictionary, 1st Edition, 1891
grant blacks 1.JPG
grant blacks 1.JPG (120.67 KiB) Viewed 14179 times

The Century Dictionary, an Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language, 1895
grant century dictionary.JPG
grant century dictionary.JPG (189.55 KiB) Viewed 14179 times

Black’s Law Dictionary, 7th Edition, 1999
Grant (n)

1. An agreement that creates a right of any description other than the one held by the grantor. Examples include leases, easements, charges, patents, franchises, powers, and licenses.

2. The formal transfer of real property.

3. The document by which a transfer is effected; esp., DEED.

4. The property or property right so transferred.

Grant (v)

1. To give or confer (something), with or without compensation.

2. To formally transfer (real property) by deed or other writing.

3. To permit or agree to.

4. To approve, warrant, or order (a request, motion, etc.)

WEX Legal Dictionary
Grant
To give, sell, or otherwise transfer something to someone. (See also: grant deed)

Grant Deed
A deed to real estate containing an implied promise that the person transferring the property actually has good title and that the property is not encumbered in any way, except as described in the deed. This is the most commonly used type of deed. Compare: quitclaim deed, warranty deed
QUOTES

James Madison said:
[T]he powers granted by the proposed Constitution are the gift of the people, and may be resumed by them when perverted to their oppression, and every power not granted thereby remains with the people.
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.
[In the case of] dangerous exercise of other powers, not granted by the said compact, the states, who are parties thereto, have the right, and are duty bound, to interpose for arresting the progress of the evil.
George Bancroft said:
Madison, agreeing with the journal of the convention, records that the grant of power to emit bills of credit was refused by a majority of more than four to one. The evidence is perfect; no power to emit paper money was granted to the legislature of the United States.
John Locke said:
The power of the legislative being derived from the people by a positive voluntary grant and institution, can be no other than what that positive grant conveyed, which being only to make laws, and not to make legislators, the legislative can have no power to transfer their authority of making laws, and place it in other hands.
Justice Charles Evans Hughes said:
Emergency does not create power. Emergency does not increase granted power or remove or diminish the restrictions imposed upon power granted or reserved. The Constitution was adopted in a period of grave emergency. Its grants of power to the federal government and its limitations of the power of the States were determined in the light of emergency, and they are not altered by emergency.
Daniel Webster said:
God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.
George Orwell said:
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Chester W. Nimitz said:
God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.
Milton Friedman said:
To the free man, the country is the collection of individuals who compose it, not something over and above them. He is proud of a common heritage and loyal to common traditions. But he regards government as a means, an instrumentality, neither a grantor of favors and gifts, nor a master or god to be blindly worshipped and served.
Brian Doherty said:
It’s never more important to move slowly and carefully before granting the state new powers than in the wake of tragedies.
Raoul Berger said:
Usurpation, the exercise of power not granted, is not legitimized by repetition.
John F. McManus said:
Search the Constitution and you will find no power granted to the legislative branch to make laws governing agriculture, housing, medicine, energy, private ownership or weapons, and a great deal more.
Andrew Jackson said:
Every man is equally entitled to protection by law; but when the laws undertake to add… artificial distinctions, to grant titles, gratuities, and exclusive privileges, to make the rich richer and the potent more powerful, the humble members of society -- the farmers, mechanics, and laborers -- who have neither the time nor the means of securing like favors to themselves, have a right to complain of the injustice of their government.
Albert Jay Nock said:
The State, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
James Otis said:
There can be no prescription old enough to supersede the Law of Nature and the grant of God Almighty, who has given to all men a natural right to be free, and they have it ordinarily in their power to make themselves so, if they please.
Rowan Gaither said:
We operate here under directives which emanate from the White House... The substance of the directives under which we operate is that we shall use our grant making power to alter life in the United States such that we can comfortably be merged with the Soviet Union.
Henry Kissinger said:
Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow they will be grateful. This is especially true if they were told there was an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will plead with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to them by their world government.