Property Tax Exemption

Land, personal possessions, and self. Not necessarily in that order.
scar

Property Tax Exemption

Post by scar »

hello all,
i wondered if anyone knew about property tax exemptions? by property tax i mean taxes assessed against your land and any structures/improvements thereon. here in Pima County, Arizona, these taxes are assessed each year. i have been reading about property taxes and the Arizona Constitution as well, and i think private property could be exempt. in the AZ Constitution i found this clause that is pretty straight-forward:
All household goods owned by the user thereof and used solely for noncommercial purposes shall be exempt from taxation, and such person entitled to such exemption shall not be required to take any affirmative action to receive the benefit of such exemption.

this is in Article IX (9), Section 2, clause 4. ok well i'm not using my land nor any of the structures on it for commerce, so that much is clear. but for a while now i have been wondering what exactly are "household goods" and if it includes one's home and the land on which is resides. i couldn't find any definitions of "household goods" but it sounds like anything owned by the household. a household is just me, since i'm single, or it could be a married couple or a family as well.

well then i looked more into this clause in our constitution, and i found that it was an amendment that we the people voted on and passed in the general election of 1968:
http://ballotpedia.org/Arizona_Property ... %281968%29
further, i was fortunate enough to find the actual publicity pamphlet from 1968 which explains the amendment in a bit more detail. if you click that link above and then click on the link for the "Arizona elections department 1968 voter pamphlet." (just under the election results) it takes you to a collection of all the publicity pamphlets. on the right click on 1968. now scroll to the bottom of page 13, to PROPOSITION 102 and you can see some more about this. i'll re-type what is written there:

"This measure provides an exemption for all property owners from paying a tax on household goods not used for commercial purposes. Present procedure calls for a flat ten per cent on the assessed valuation of the home. This method does not reflect the actual worth of the household goods. The Legislature has been advised of the questionable legality of the present procedure. To determine the true value it would require the homeowner to be the assessor or have each County send agents to every home. Neither instance would be practical. The cost of the enforcement would be excessive for the revenue produced. In addition, the exemption will provide tax relief to the homeowner and assist in reducing the excessive burden of property taxes that now exists. Other States have had similar problems with the household goods tax." (emphasis in original)

so it actually sounds like this clause is directly related to property taxes. i have been wanting to sell my current house and buy another... i will probably need to get a loan so i can buy the new house first and then sell my current house to pay back the loan, so i'll have to pay extra attention to the loan documents to make sure they don't force me into recording the new land or something, but i think as long as i have a bill of sale from the previous owner, and i make sure that nothing gets recorded with the Assessor, i should be good... what are your thoughts?
cascey

Re: Property Tax Exemption

Post by cascey »

I'm in a similar situation, though I'm miles away in Pinellas County, Florida.. Anyone who may have an asnwer, or reply (even just to point us in one direction or another) your assitance is appreciated.
scar

Post by scar »

i'm not sure, cascey. there seems to be a similar clause in the Florida constitution, Article 7, Section 3 (b) but there they have put a limit on the exemption (one thousand dollars). is that against the assessed value or the actual tax? and are those dollars of silver or federal reserve notes?
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

I typed out a long post and POOF! it's gone.

Household goods are tangible, movable property other than money, esp. articles of trade or items of merchandise that are used in connection with a home. (paraphrased from Black’s 7th) Household goods include some items in a home, not the house or land itself.

There are many variables when it comes to land ownership and taxation. Some questions you want to ask yourself:

Do I have the standing to own land?
Do I have high title to the land?
Am I able to physically hold the land?

Editor explains land ownership and taxes here:

http://lawfulpath.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... lit=art#p3
scar

Post by scar »

thanks... maybe the editor could move that to this forum since it doesn't seem to relate to travel rights?
anyway, it sounds like quite a battle. but seeing that i don't want to put up with illegal taxes and control of myself and my land, i will probably fight it. i also found this the other day:

Property Tax: Why You Pay and How to Opt Out
by Brent Johnson
http://www.disclose.tv/forum/you-don-t- ... ml#p934547

it sounds like it might be a little easier approach?
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

Brent Johnson has been around a while, and in theory he is mostly correct. But we are dealing with an arbitrary system that does not want to play by the rules. A few concerns:

You can't own land that you have a debt on. So if you get a mortgage on the new piece of land, you'll be forced to pay taxes.

The seller can only transfer to you what he owns. If he does not completely own the property, he is not selling it to you completely.

If you do not record the property, the previous owner will continue to be taxed until it is re-recorded. He will rat you out, giving county your name, to stop his tax liability.

If you cloak your property in any way as a residence, there will be (purported) tax liability. This includes using the Federally given street address, taking the benefit of any transmitting utilities, getting residential homeowners insurance, or an other benefits. Maybe there are clever ways to non-contract, and if so, I'd like to read about them.

I don't know how Editor's friend managed for 8 years. I don't know if he was completely off grid. I don't know how he had the easements (phone, electric, sewer, water, right of way, etc.) removed unilaterally. Maybe he didn't and that is why he found himself going to jail.

More discussion is welcome.
scar

Post by scar »

i've contacted the People's Rights Academy and was happy to have a conversation with one of the volunteers there, the phone number (Delaware) is listed in the link i provided in my previous post; the 800 number on their website is disconnected. it sounds like they have a sure way to unrecord the property or release the tax liability. anyway for $10 it seems like an ok investment, so i'm going to try that and i should be receiving an initial information packet soon that i can fill out so they can assist me further. i find it odd that the email address they have listed is @dmv.com, a commercial site dedicated to driver's licensing and traffic law. although the conversation i had on the phone with the volunteer seemed legitimate, i just find that strange. anyone know the connection?

notmartha i don't believe i have to accept the so-called "benefits" of a residence just because i order the City's water/sewer or contact with a private company for insurance on my property. really it is unthinkable that in order to live my lawful life that i somehow have to exist "off the grid" out in the boonies, generating my own power and collecting my own water. i am a free man and can exist and live anywhere i want, all of my rights are with me at all times.
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

According to Zoom, DMV is a website privately owned by David DeRiemer (notaxman@dmv.com).

This concurs with the DMV website, which states, “DMV.com is a privately owned website that is not affiliated with any government agencies.”

It looks to me like they assist people in working in the system. And if the net worth on the Zoom link is correct, they make a pretty penny doing so.

As far as being free…

Freedom is exemption from bondage, tax, and care. You are not free if you are bound by contracts or are in debt. Everything in STATE is so intertwined; You are either in or you are out, bound or free.

A driver’s license is only obtainable by a resident of the STATE in which it is applied for. Non-residents are ineligible for driver’s licenses. The use of an address is proof of residence. The privilege of driving is based on your status as a resident person. All benefits/privileges offered by STATE are hinged on this status.

Brent Johnson explained the trust relationship in his essay in the link you posted. The res is the “thing” in the trust. Sometimes the “thing” is a person. It has been my experience, and the experience of many I know, that you will not get electric service, phone service, or insurance from any corporations in the trust without a driver’s license, STATE ID, and/or SSN that establish your residency/personhood/status in the trust.

Yes, living off grid (i.e. STATE plane) is hard to fathom, especially for those not accustomed to being independent of STATE benefits.
scar

Post by scar »

notmartha wrote:It has been my experience, and the experience of many I know, that you will not get electric service, phone service, or insurance from any corporations in the trust without a driver’s license, STATE ID, and/or SSN that establish your residency/personhood/status in the trust.
see i have a big issue with this, because if this is the case then that means our country has been invaded and over-taken by an occupying force, so to speak, and this force is basically taking away our rights and forcing us to live in certain places and in certain ways, unless...! it's just like war... but i don't believe that is the case.

as i learned from Carl Miller, you can get all the benefits you want without giving up your rights or entering into conflicting contracts. isn't that the way it should it be? the constitution is still in force last time i checked. we the people created the state to serve us, and serve us it shall. don't get me wrong though, the states have become corrupted and greedy and more often than not we now serve the state. but that is just due to ignorance, but we can put an end to ignorance ourselves. likewise if there were not a way out of the bonds of the state, we'd be in all out war IMHO.

indicators like "under duress" and "without prejudice" are things we can use when we are forced to deal with the state--because it is so big and encompassing--in order to live our lawful lives without conflict. these are legal terms we can use, and when we use them we are being transparent and open, there is no deception. since we are being totally transparent with the state and relying on the constitution, we have a perfect defense against willfulness. as Miller said "if they [the state] will give you the benefits, take them!"

i've had good luck with this so far. when i signed my drivers license "under duress" and "without prejudice" the DMV employee had to take my application to a superior because these terms were foreign to him, but they okayed it in the end; the state gave me the benefits without having to give up any of my rights, and i have it all in writing now. everytime i use my license to conduct business with anyone who requires it, or whenever my ID# is used, etc., it is already clearly established that my rights are intact and i am not a corporation in the trust.

i know this is only the beginning and it is small compared to land rights but it has to keep working... it must keep working. otherwise the constitution is really just a piece of ***damned paper
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

It has become obvious to me that we are walking different paths. My path precludes me from being a beneficiary, i.e. partner, of the trust by accepting its benefits. Apparently you and Carl Miller have no problem with that. So be it.

Your post reminds me of this dialogue from Easy Rider:
George Hanson: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.

Billy: Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened. Hey, we can't even get into like, a second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel, you dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or somethin'. They're scared, man.

George Hanson: They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.

Billy: Hey, man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody who needs a haircut.

George Hanson: Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom.

Billy: What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.

George Hanson: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

Billy: Well, it don't make 'em runnin' scared.

George Hanson: No, it makes 'em dangerous.
I posted more about the term of art "benefit" HERE, if you want to understand why you give up freedoms by becoming a beneficiary.