Private Liability for Gun-Free Zones

Gun rights vs. gun control. Second Amendment.
editor
Site Admin

Private Liability for Gun-Free Zones

Post by editor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:27 pm

I don't see much interesting stuff in the Blaze any more, but this caught my eye:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/14 ... t-they-do/

I don't agree with government interfering in how private business runs their business. If a restaurant owner wants to let his patrons smoke, and non-smokers don't like it, they can go somewhere else. The market decides if the restaurant owner is right.

However, this one is a little different.

Some businesses post signs forbidding patrons (even those who have a concealed carry permit) from carrying a firearm into their place of business. As we know, this practice of creating gun-free zones ends up putting a lot of people at risk.

This Florida senator has introduced a bill into the Florida legislature which, if passed, will put the burden of liability upon business owners. If they don't allow their patrons to protect themselves, then the business owner must provide adequate security. The test of what is adequate, of course, is the business owner becomes responsible for any death, damage, or injury that befalls his patrons-- but only if he has forbidden his patrons to carry.

Such a law seems to me to place all the burdens of liability exactly where they should be. Many progressive liberal business owners may find the true price of their convictions too high to maintain.

It's an interesting idea; I wish I'd thought of it. I predict if the bill passes we'll see a lot of those signs disappear.
--
Editor
Lawfulpath.com
notmartha

Re: Private Liability for Gun-Free Zones

Post by notmartha » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Steube's previous bills, SB 610 and HB 819 were “indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration” and dead. Maybe this one, SB 120, will get more action.

I don't have a problem with businesses choosing to be "gun-free zones;" I just don't choose to use their services, and I tell them why. If enough people stop patronizing these businesses, they will have to change their policies.

In the past we've given out stickers like the one below to pacifist anti-gun friends and family. They have this shocked look and say, "No, we'd never advertise that we are gun-free!"

In the 90's in Arizona bars would make you check your guns at the door. It was an open carry state, but I guess there was more liability for the business with gun toting drunks than without. They had up signs something to the effect of "this place could get dangerous, enter at your own risk." Bars were always packed anyway.
"Ye shall not fear other gods, nor bow yourselves to them, nor serve them, nor sacrifice to them:" 2 Kings 17:35
editor
Site Admin

Re: Private Liability for Gun-Free Zones

Post by editor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

notmartha wrote:

In the past we've given out stickers like the one below to pacifist anti-gun friends and family. They have this shocked look and say, "No, we'd never advertise that we are gun-free!"
Project Veritas recently did a video similar to this. They sent someone out to the homes of prominent anti-gun politicians, with a sign that said something like "We are gun-free", and asked them to put it in their yards. None of them would do it, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1Zy_ASNyA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1Zy_ASNyA
--
Editor
Lawfulpath.com