Legal Quotes that Support Scripture

Discussion on creating and maintaining Conflicts of Law
scott

Post by scott »

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this.

A few legal quotes that support Scripture (the Law of God) as the true source of law.
At this point in my life the ‘supreme law of the land’ is not the Constitution, but the eternal covenant law of Holy Scripture.

“It is the commandment of the Lord, that a people should enter a Covenant with the Lord to become his people, even in their civil society, as well as in their Church-Society (a) Whereby they submit themselves to be ruled by the Lord in all things, receiving from him, both the platform of their Government, and all their laws; which they do, then Christ reigneth over them in all things, they being ruled by his Will, and by the Word of his Mouth. Isaiah 33:22 The Lord is our Judge, The Lord is our lawgiver, the Lord is our King, he shall save us.’” ~ John Elliot, London, 1659, The Christian Commonwealth

All acts of legislature apparently contrary to natural right and justice are, in our law, and must be in the nature of things, considered void. The laws of nature are the laws of God, whose authority can be superseded by no power on earth. A legislature must not obstruct our obedience to Him from whose punishment they cannot protect us. All human constitutions which contradict His laws, we are in conscience bound to disobey.” ~ Robin v Hardaway, 1 Jefferson 109 (1772)

”We have staked the whole future of the American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future…. upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to sustain ourselves, according to the Ten Commandments of God.” ~ James Madison

“The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.” ~ John Quincy Adams

“From the day of the Declaration….They (the American people) were bound by the laws of God, which they all, and by the laws of the Gospel, which they nearly all, acknowledged as the rules of their conduct.” ~ John Quincy Adams, July 4, 1881

On September 11, 1777: Because the domestic supply of Bibles was short, the Continental Congress wrote, “directing the committee of Commerce to import (from Europe) 20,000 copies of the Bible, the great political textbook of the patriots.”

”On my arrival in the United States the religious aspect of the country was the first thing that struck my attention; and the longer I stayed there, the more I perceived the great political consequences resulting from this new state of things…. Religion in America takes no direct part in government of society, but it must be regarded as the first of their political institutions …The sects (different denominations) that exist in the United States are innumerable. They all differ in respect to the worship which is due the Creator; but they all agree in respect to the duties which are due man to man. Each sect adores the Deity in its own particular manner, but all sects preach the same moral law (the laws of God are the laws of nature) in the name of God… All the sects of the United States are comprised within the great unity of Christianity…. I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there; in her rich mines and vast commerce, and it was not there. Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great. ~ Alexis de Tocqueville, a French historian

”It was ordered that the judicial laws of God, as they were delivered to Moses….be a rule to all courts in this jurisdiction in their proceeding against offenders.” ~ The April 3, 1644, records of the Colony and Plantation of New Haven

”Who is sovereign, and to whom is man responsible? If sovereignty resides in God and is only held magisterially by men, then the basic responsibility of ruler and ruled is to God, who is the source of freedom. But if sovereignty resides in the state, whether a monarchy or democracy, man has no appeal beyond the law of the state, and no source of ethics apart from it…Absolute monarchy and democracy, statism in other words, came into existence as revivals of paganism and as anti-Christian movements, whatever these ostensible claims otherwise.” ~ Rushdooney, R.J., This Independent Republic, Thoburn Press, 1978, p. 15

”It is extremely important to our nation, in a political as well as religious view, that all possible authority and influence should be given to the scriptures; for these furnish the best principles of civil liberty, and the most effectual support of republican government. The moral principles and precepts contained in the scriptures ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws.” ~ Noah Webster

”When our fathers abjured the name of Britons, and assumed among the nations of the earth the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature’s God entitled them…” ~ John Q. Adams

”They announced themselves as reformers of the institutions of civil society. They spoke of the law of nature, and in the name of nature’s God; and by that sacred adjuration they pledged us, their children, to labor with united and concerted energy, from the cradle to the grave, to purge the earth of all slavery; to restore the race of man to full enjoyment of those rights which the God of nature had bestowed upon him at birth; to disenthrall his limbs from chains, to break the fetters from his feet and the manacles from his hands, and set him free for the use of all his physical powers for the improvement of his own condition. ~ The Christian History of the American Revolution, Hall, Verna M., p. 615.

”I have but one Law-Book that I shall pretend to recommend to your careful perusal, and that is the Holy Bible, which contains the Laws, Statutes, and Judgments, the Reports and Records of the King of Heaven: There you will find that GOD has given us, as we are told, right Judgments, and true laws, good Statutes & Commandments. (Nehemiah. 9:13) O then, Let all your private Counsel and all your publick Pleas, be such as agree with these Divine statutes.” ~ Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, Story, Joseph, p. 718, Sec. 1016.

“Our law and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian. … this is a religious people. This is historically true. From the discovery of this continent to the present hour, there is a single voice making this affirmation …. we find everywhere a clear recognition of the same truth…. this is a Christian nation.” ~ [Justice David J. Brewer U. S. Supreme Court - Holy Trinity Church vs US (1892)]
iamfreeru2

Re: Legal Quotes that Support Scripture

Post by iamfreeru2 »

Scott,

I want to thank you for your post. It is very refreshing to come to a forum where people here understand that the Word of God is the Supreme Law of the Land by the One Supreme Lawgiver and Judge of all (See James 4:12). I have posted on other forums where most have very swollen heads and large egos run amok.

I have a forum and the Scripture verse I use in its heading is: Revelation 18:4 "I heard another voice from heaven, saying, "Come out of her, my people, so that you will not participate in her sins and receive of her plagues;"

Our desire is to know the will of God and to obey His will. Then, and only then, will we, as His people, see the remedy we seek because it is His remedy for us based on His desire for us, not our own.

Blessings,
Michael
I am called Michael, a bond servant of the Chirst